Offered through our partnership with Five Counties Children’s Centre, Occupational Therapy supports children and youth to be successful in everyday activities. Quality services for infants, children, youth and their families are available.
Occupational therapy (OT) provides strategies for building skills, modifying the environment and adapting day-to-day activities by addressing the following areas:
- Fine motor (hand skills)-learning to use a pencil, scissors or other utensils
- Self-care routines-including toileting, dressing, hygiene
- Eating and Drinking-including using utensils, chewing and swallowing, exploring and tolerating different food tastes and textures
- Sensory skills-learning to take in and make sense of what is seen, heard, touched, felt and smelled
- Self-Regulation-developing the ability to recognize different emotions in yourself and others and developing coping strategies for times of stress and frustration
- Planning and organization-developing strategies for managing tasks and activities throughout the day
- Printing/writing-learning to use pen/pencil and paper, a keyboard or other specialized technology for written communication
- Playing-encouraging use of toys and developing play skills to interact with family and friends
- An assessment of your child’s skills and needs. Assessments may include one-to-one observation of a child utilizing assessment tools or activities. The Occupational Therapist will analyze and interpret results, discuss the findings and recommendations and may prepare a report.
- A brief consultation with an Occupational Therapist who will offer specific input and guidance to help address a child’s needs through offering information about skill development, feeding strategies or activities to help with day-to-day life.
- Individual treatment provided by an Occupational Therapist or an Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA). Treatment may be one-to-one or in a small group dependent on the identified goal and service plan. A child’s age and ability to focus on activities will be considered in the recommended therapy approach
Sessions can be scheduled in your home or at Five Counties Children’s Centre locations.
For more information about Five Counties Children’s Centre and it’s services visit www.fivecounties.on.ca
Need help choosing the services that are most appropriate for your family?
Contact us today for your FREE Introductory Consultation
1-888-616-3456 x 200